Operation Christmas Child is a mission program through Samaritan’s Purse that Faith Lutheran has been participating in since 2018. For over 25 years,Operation Christmas Child has been providing gift-filled shoeboxes to children between the ages of 2 and 14 around the world. Mission partners are used to distribute these shoeboxes to children. The recipients then are invited to participate in The Greatest Journey, a 12-lesson discipleship program. It is exciting to know that these children then share the good news with their siblings and other family members. So not only are you touching a needy child through a filled shoebox, but the news of Christ is reaching well beyond the shoebox recipient.
There are a variety of ways you can participate in the Operation Christmas Child program throughout the year.
- You can donate monetarily by placing your cash contribution in an offering envelope, marking the envelope with “Operation Christmas Child” or “Shoebox Donation”, and placing your envelope in the offering plate.
- You can donate a gift item for a girl or a boy between the ages of 2 and 14. Every two months we highlight a type of gift, i.e., clothing, hygiene items, games. Watch for the featured gift ideas in the Faith monthly newsletter and our weekly bulletins. These gifts can be placed in the Operation Christmas Child gift box in the fellowship hall. The highlighted gifts are detailed in the following document, and handouts can be found in the Operation Christmas Child folder in the fellowship hall.
- Gifts can also be donated whenever it is convenient for you. So if you see a good deal while shopping, take advantage of it.
- Some individuals enjoy shopping and filling a shoebox personally and that is encouraged as well. The shoeboxes will be made available for that purpose during the fall months.
- We’ll have a packing party prior to the National Collection Week in November. We’ll be looking for individuals to help pack shoeboxes with the gifts collected throughout the year.
- The money collected through offerings will be used to purchase gifts to round out our shoeboxes. If you love to shop, you can help us with this task.
This is one of the many mission projects that Faith participates in and your involvement is encouraged. We thank you in advance for your participation. Questions and suggestions can be directed to the Outreach/Evangelism Board.