Faith's history

Bible classes conducted by retired LCMS Pastor Roland Finke and held in the homes of Lutheran families in HSV were the beginning of Faith Lutheran Church.

After consulting with the Mid-South District, permission was given to start conducting services on April 6, 1986.  Forty-two were in attendance at Coronado Community Center for that first service, with Pastor Finke serving as interim pastor.

By November 2, 1986, the Rev. David Wacker of Fort Smith was installed as the first full-time pastor, and on April 26, 1986, Faith had received its state charter.  The congregation was received into full membership in the LCMS at the convention of the Mid-South District in June of 1988.

Caruth Village Funeral Chapel granted them use of their facilities for Sunday services in May, 1988.

Rev. Henry Behling of Lakefield, Minnesota was installed in February, 1989.  There were 58 communicants at that time.

The congregation voted to change the proposed building site on Minorca to Andorra Drive.  The new plans included seating for 240, offices, meeting room and fellowship hall.

The groundbreaking service for the new church was held in March of 1990 and the building completed in December of 1990.

In the fall of 1999, the congregation approved plans to construct a new fellowship hall, remodel the kitchen and utilize the old fellowship hall for new offices.  In May 2001, the project was completed and dedicated. 

A Memorial Garden was developed and is available to members and their families who wish to have the cremated remains in the garden.

Faith Lutheran became self-supporting in 1994 with 145 communicant members.  Rev Leslie Weerts became the third called shepherd to serve Faith Lutheran from December 1996 until May 2001.  In November 2001, Rev. Dale Glawatz was installed and served until May 2005.  In March 2006, Rev Mark Carnahan became our pastor until November 2014.  In September 2015, Rev Robert Benke was called and installed.  Our congregation now numbers around 230 souls.

Don't just come to church; BECOME the church!

The church is NOT a building where we gather.

The church IS the people who gather in Christ's name.

our church windows

The diamond-shaped windows above the altar depict the Word and Sacrament, the heart and core of the church’s message and ministry.  The Top window depicts the open Bible with the Greek letters, Alpha and Omega, the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet, symbolizing that the content of the Scriptures is Jesus, who is the first and last, the beginning and the end of all things.

The lower window depicts the shell and drops of water of Baptism and the Chalice and host (water) symbolizes the Lord’s Supper.  These are the two Sacraments which our Lord instituted, gave to His church to use and through which He offer the forgiveness of sins, life and salvation.

The four colored glass windows also have symbolism, which lies not in a picture but in the colors of the glass. 

  • The cloudy white and darker colors at the bottom symbolize the creation, man’s fall into sin and the darkness that existed until the coming of Christ. 
  • The red in the center is the blood of Christ by which we are redeemed from sin, death and hell.  This is the heart and center of our Christian faith and hope. 
  • The green is the new life we have as the result of our redemption and the blue symbolizes our faith in Christ which leads us to the glory of heaven, symbolized by the clear white at the top.

Faith Lutheran’s Historic

1879 E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings

Pipe Organ

Faith Lutheran has the distinction of a church acquiring an organ before it had even broken ground for the church building.  This, in turn, was a blessing as it allowed them to build the organ area to the specifications needed to insure quality sound with the best acoustics.  They also have the distinction of being the only church in Hot Springs Village to have a pipe organ.

The organ was originally built in 1879 by E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings of Boston, Massachusetts, an old and well-established firm which built some 2500 pipe organs from 1827 until they ceased operations in 1936. 

This pipe organ has what is known as tracker action, which means that there is a direct mechanical connection between the keys and the valves under the pipes.  This kind of action is pleasing to play, reliable, and long-lasting.

The organ was found at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Atlanta, Georgia after it was closed and then refurbished as an art center.  In 1989, Redman Organ Company purchased and removed the organ to their offices in Fort Worth, Texas. 

On September 8, 1989, the 65 member congregation with the full support of the then pastor, Rev. Henry Behling, voted to go forward with the purchase and restoration of the organ for $50,000.  

Since the organ had been vandalized in its former location, very little of the original pipework existed.  Much of the pipework has been replaced with genuine E. & G. G. Hook & Hastings pipework from the same time period as this organ.  Much of this was provided by the Organ Clearing House in Harrisville, New Hampshire, who also donated the replacement name board.

All pipework (575 in total) has been completely cleaned, rebuilt and re-voiced, although Hook & Hastings voicing practices have been preserved.  Front pipes have been refinished and re-stenciled by Sharon Redman, using mostly original designs and colors to harmonize with the present location of the organ.

Casework of the organ is made of black walnut and has been refinished with oil.  The swell shoe was reproduced by Roy Redman and the bench by Korey Gregory.  The installation and finishing team consisted of the above, assisted by Paul Scott.  The installers were housed and fed by the members of the church during the installation process.

This installation was completed on November 15, 1991, and the organ was dedicated to the Glory of God during the morning worship service on November 24, 1991. 

Faith congregation feels very fortunate to have this beautiful instrument now gracing its balcony.  The prime purpose of the organ is to support, lead and inspire the congregation and choir in prayer and praise through song and then to supply the service with music, of which there is a rich treasure in the liturgical Lutheran church.